Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
'Andar clash ended with 22 security personnel, 90 Taliban dead'
Twenty-two policemen and 90 Taliban have been killed as clash in the Andar district of southern Ghazni province came to an end, an official said on Saturday.
Four-day back, the Taliban launched an assault on Andar district following a car bombing.
The Taliban Commanders Anes, Badri and Hejran were among the dead, said Governor Abdul Karim Matin while addressing reporters in Ghazni City, the provincial capital.
"The Taliban planned to capture Andar and from there they dreamed to overrun Ghazni City, but their plan was failed and a large number of weapons with the Taliban were destroyed during the clash," said Matin.
Brig. Gen. Asadullah Sherzad, commander of the 303rd Police Zone, said offensive on a large scale had been launched in the province in order to ensure security and stability.
The Taliban rejected claims of top Ghazni officials and said firefight were underway in Andar and the Taliban had advanced.
The Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed the group fighters captured the Sardar Kala check-post this morning. He said only seven Taliban were killed during Andar clashes. Mujahid claimed killing scores of security personnel in gun battle.
[Source: By Pajhwok Report, Pajhwok Afghan news, Ghazni City, 21Oct17]
War in Afghanistan & Iraq
|This document has been published on 23Oct17 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|